Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sewing alone

Hey there =)
Me again.

Just arrived from the movies with some great friends. We watched “Letters for Juliet”. I highly recommend it =)

So, back to the subject, I`ve already told you that I`m clueless about why I took up sewing. But I did. And believe you me, once you start doing something like that, it`s almost impossible not to get hooked on.

At the end of the weekend I went back home (my relatives and I are living a few cities apart) with a bag of rags and a lot of sewing plans.

And then, out of the blue, I broke my stupid leg playing basketball.

So I was there, trapped with my clutches, with tons of good books to read, good movies to watch, but all I could think of was “how nice it will be if I could sew something right now”…

That thought became a wish. That wish turned into a craving. And when that craving was really overwhelming, I bought her.

So here I am, introducing you Pandora, my first (an only) sewing machine.




It was love at first sight. Of course I had no idea of how she worked, how to put the thread correctly, how to handle the little buttons I was seeing for the first time, and most important of all how many other things you have to buy when you want to sew (that being the subject of another post, I promise).

As every good (and busy) dress maker, my aunt hadn`t taught me any of the important stuff – ok, my bad, since I was all ears and eyes for the cute stuff – and I was at a lost.

That was my first try on the wide world of sewers that put their lives on the internet.

Amazed and overwhelmed, I started downloading every single nice tutorial I could put my virtual hands on.

When I came across one that said “for beginners” and “very easy” in the same sentence, I plucked up all my courage and tried my hands on it.

I worked out the thread and button problems fine enough, together with the interlining and the bias issues, and after a few hours (I know it`s sad) my paper tissue case was done. Made all by myself. No professional help needed =)




A few cases were given as gifts for my friends (including Karina, who’s watching me typing this post and is sweetly asking me to say she’s one of the happy owners), ‘cause handmade gifts are the best ones.

Can’t say I was successful making the “straight” pink line tough, but that`s gonna be challenge number two.

On the whole, I think this experience went quite well. Don't you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment